- This event has passed.
FREE Webinar! Helping the Helpers: Introducing a guide for friends and family on how to be an ally for a loved one experiencing domestic violence.
June 16 @ 4:00 PM - 5:00 PM BST
In this webinar, David Mandel and Ruth Stearns introduce the Guide for Friends and Families.
Instructors: David Mandel, Executive Director & Ruth Stearns Mandel, Communications Manager
Date: June 16th, 2020
Time: 4:00 pm BST
Length: 60 minutes
Helping the Helpers: Introducing a guide for friends and family on how to be an ally for a loved one experiencing domestic violence.
The Safe & Together Model encourages us to explore and value the varied ways in which friends and family can be allies to domestic violence survivors and their children. Survivors often choose to seek the help and support of family and friends before calling the police or engaging services. How they respond can make the difference between safety or increased isolation and entrapment for survivors. The Safe & Together Institute has produced a guide to support allies in the role they want to play: to be a source of support and safety for their loved ones. During this period of social distancing, there has been an increase in reporting of abuse from friends, family, neighbours and communities. It is critical for workers to learn how to work with and support the allies of domestic violence survivors.
- Consider how friends, family, neighbours and communities are allies to domestic violence survivors during the current crisis.
- Be introduced to the sections within the Guide for Friends and Families.
- Learn how to use the guide to support allies and work with them effectively around:
- Identifying the signs and impact of coercive control.
- Partnering with survivors.
- Mapping to help survivors.