What is the Safe and Together Advocacy Institute?
The Safe and Together Advocacy Institute is an unique, six-month long, intensive training program designed specifically for domestic violence advocates that involves face-to-face training, coaching and mentoring on how to use the Safe and Together™ model to improve outcomes for survivors and their children involved with the child welfare system. Participating advocates will learn how a perpetrator pattern-based approach can help them work more collaboratively with child welfare, enhance advocacy skills with child welfare-involved clients, and develop their leadership skills.
To best support learning, practice, and development of participant skills and leadership, the Institute includes:
- Six days of face-to-face training with DMA staff
- Monthly group coaching/mentoring
- Individual coaching
- Individual Goals and Action Plans
- Leadership development
- Monthly journal entries to promote self-reflection on practice
- Required training modules for participants to train child welfare partners, peers, and other community members
- Training and webinar support for supervisors and managers
- Training and webinar support to child welfare partners
Participants for the Advocacy Institute must complete an application and be selected for the program. All participants who complete the Institute requirements will also be certified to train on the Safe and Together model for two years.
Who Should Attend?
- Domestic violence advocates that are co-located with child welfare
- Domestic advocates working with child-welfare involved clients
- Supervisors of co-located advocates and/or advocates working with child welfare involved clients
- Domestic violence agency leadership
- State domestic violence coalition staff
What Advocates have said about the Safe and Together Model Advocacy Institute
“This Monday I was so pumped and ready to make a difference, that I purposely walked around the CPIS building following up on the referrals I had received…”
“Immediately, I started using the program by focusing on my participant’s strengths and creating a safety plan around their strengths.”
“Since attending the training, my conversations with survivors have changed drastically and have definitely improved my advocacy skills.”
What is the cost for the Advocacy Institute?
The tuition for the entire Advocacy Institute is
$2500/person $1900/person! Travel expenses are the responsibility of the participants who are expected to attend all six onsite days.
Where and When
LOCATION: Stamford Connecticut
DATES OF FACE TO FACE SESSIONS: January 24-26 and June 13-15, 2017
APPLICATION DUE DATE: DECEMBER 9, 2016
ACCEPTANCE NOTIFICATION DATE: DECEMBER 16, 2016
INFORMATIONAL WEBINAR: NOVEMBER: NOVEMBER 17, 2016 2 PM
- Webinar Link: http://dma.adobeconnect.com/ai2017/
Conference Number(s): 978-964-0049 Participant Code: 633770#